This Creamy Baked Tuscan Chicken (Paleo and Dairy Free) recipe is the perfect weeknight meal that your whole family will love. It is ready in under 30 minutes and full of flavor! The boneless chicken breasts are baked in a creamy dairy free sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, basil and spinach. This is healthy comfort food to the max! This tuscan chicken dish is also dairy free, paleo, Whole30 and SCD friendly.
What's for dinner?
This recipe came to me when I had a jar of sun-dried tomatoes and no idea what to make with them. Boy, am I happy I had that dilemma because it led me to create this creamy tuscan chicken recipe. Since then, whenever I want to switch up my regular dinner rotation, I add this recipe in and it never disappoints.
I don’t know about you, but I am all about convenient meals, even on the weekends. Once it hits about 5pm at my house, chaos ensues because my daughter and my hubby start getting hangry. Okay it’s not just them, I get hangry too. But this meal is so easy to whip up and the flavors make you feel like you made a fancy meal that took hours. It’s also made with healthier ingredients and not with high calorie heavy cream or cheese like traditional tuscan chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Tuscan Chicken Recipe:
Ingredients: Our recipe is made with healthier ingredients like chicken breasts, light coconut milk, fresh basil, fresh spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. It’s a comfort food but also dairy free, paleo, Whole30, and SCD friendly.
Simple: Did I mention this whole dish can be made in under 30 minutes? Yep, that's a game changer.
Ingredients for Baked Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Breasts: We use skinless, boneless chicken breasts. See the tips below for even cooking.
- Avocado Oil: Alternatively, you could use olive oil instead.
- Spices: We use dried oregano, dried parsley, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper in this tuscan chicken recipe.
- Cream Sauce: This dairy free creamy sauce used is made with light coconut milk, chicken broth and nutritional yeast (for cheesy flavor).
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: These tomatoes are a delicious addition to this dish. You can usually find dried tomatoes at your local grocery store.
- Fresh basil and spinach: The basil and spinach add another layer of flavor and color to the dish.
How to make Baked Tuscan Chicken
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Step 2: In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle the tops of the chicken breasts with avocado oil and then rub the seasoning mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
Step 3: Next, mix together the chicken broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast (optional), and sun dried tomatoes in a medium bowl. Pour around the chicken breasts and bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
Step 4: Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the chopped basil and spinach to the sauce. Cover the dish with foil and let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the chicken to rest and the basil and spinach to wilt. Uncover and enjoy!
Where do you buy sun-dried tomatoes?
I usually don’t have any trouble finding sun-dried tomatoes in my local grocery store. If your grocery store is like mine, they have them under the canned tomato aisle.
Tips for even cooking
Try to have your chicken breasts be similar in size and thickness. If one end of the chicken breast is thicker, flatten the end by pounding it even with a rolling pin. This usually flattens the chicken breast so it has a more even thickness. The size of the chicken breast will determine the cook time so times may vary. Accurately check if the chicken breasts are cooked by using a meat thermometer.
How to serve
This baked tuscan chicken can be served by itself or on top of cauliflower rice, rice, or pasta.
How to store
This baked tuscan chicken can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Looking for more dinner recipes?
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Broccoli Alfredo Pasta (Dairy Free)
Easy Stuffed Sweet Potato Tacos
Did you like this tuscan chicken recipe? Let me know in the comments below and let me know how you like to serve tuscan chicken. Also check out my instagram or Pinterest for more food photography inspiration and recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Baked Tuscan Chicken (Paleo and Dairy Free)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- ⅔ cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- ¼ cup basil roughly chopped
- ¼ cup spinach roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle the tops of the chicken breasts with avocado oil and then rub the seasoning mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Next, mix together the chicken broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast (optional), and sun dried tomatoes in a medium bowl. Pour around the chicken breasts and bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the baking dish from the oven and add the chopped basil and spinach to the sauce. Cover the dish with foil and let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the chicken to rest and the basil and spinach to wilt. Uncover and enjoy!
- If you want a thicker sauce, add 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch or cornstarch to the coconut milk mixture. Keep in mind, cornstarch is not Paleo or Whole30.
- Feel free to serve over rice, gluten free pasta, zoodles or spaghetti squash
Do you have to use light coconut milk? I can only find regular at my grocery store. And will nutritional yeast flakes work? It's the only kind I can find. Thank you!
Katelyn | With Sweet Honey
Hi Lydia, Thanks for your questions! You can use regular full fat coconut milk and the nutritional yeast flakes in this recipe.