This homemade Dairy Free Peppermint Mocha is like Christmas in a cup! It’s made with simple ingredients like coconut milk, cacao powder, peppermint extract and sweetened with pure maple syrup. It might just become your new favorite holiday drink!
Homemade Peppermint Mocha
If the winter season had a favorite coffee drink, I bet it’d be peppermint mocha. There’s something about the taste of peppermint with melted chocolate flavor that just takes your taste buds on a trip to the North Pole. Okay that might be pushing it, but you get the point. If you want to get festive, try this homemade dairy free peppermint mocha recipe!
This version of a peppermint mocha is dairy free and is free from all that not so good “extra stuff” that store bought creamers usually have in them. In this recipe, I used full-fat coconut milk to make it creamy and indulgent. The cacao powder brings out the chocolate-y goodness that we know and love about mochas but without the dairy. And of course, there’s peppermint!
Ingredients Dairy Free Peppermint Mocha
- Milk: I recommend using full fat coconut milk for an indulgent treat but you can use whatever dairy free milk that you’d like. Oat milk, almond milk or cashew milk are all great options! Of course, you can substitute the dairy free milk with regular milk if you prefer.
- Coffee: Use strongly brewed coffee or espresso for best results. I usually use dark roast coffee beans for a strong coffee flavor.
- Cacao Powder: This is where that delicious chocolate flavor comes in! You can substitute the cacao powder for cocoa powder just make sure that it has no added sugars.
- Maple Syrup: Feel free to adjust the amount based on how sweet you prefer your mocha to be. Also, honey can be used as a substitute here.
- Peppermint Extract: Be careful with the amount of peppermint extract you add. A few drops goes a long way with this extract.
- Sea Salt: Just a pinch!
- Optional toppings: Whipped coconut cream and crushed hard peppermint candies.
How To Make A Peppermint Mocha
This mocha recipe is seriously so easy to make! You’ll have a Starbucks worthy drink in less than 5 minutes. Start by adding the milk, coffee, cacao powder, maple syrup, peppermint extract and pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Heat and stir on medium high until the cacao powder has dissolved and the mixture is hot. Remove from the heat and pour into cups. Serve with coconut whipped cream and crushed peppermint candies if desired. Enjoy!
More Holiday Recipes:
I hope you enjoy this peppermint mocha recipe and feel free to share it with others! Please consider rating and reviewing below, I love to hear your feedback. Also follow along on Instagram for more recipe and food photography ideas. Happy holidays everyone!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Dairy Free Peppermint Mocha
- Coffee maker or espresso maker
- 1 ½ cups dairy free milk
- 2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract*
- Coconut whipped cream**
- Peppermint candies, crushed
- On the stovetop, heat the coconut milk, coffee, cacao powder, maple syrup, peppermint extract and pinch of salt. Stir until the cacao powder is dissolved and mixture is boiling. Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy. (Optional) Top the mocha with coconut whipped cream and crushed peppermint candies.
- *Depending on how strong you want the peppermint flavor, feel free to start with a few drops at first, taste, then adjust accordingly.
- **Here is the recipe for homemade Coconut Whipped Cream
Leave a Reply