Tangy cucumber salad with delicious dill and mint. This go-to summer side salad is made with fresh cucumber, mint, dill, jalapeño and radishes tossed in a vinegar and olive oil dressing. It can also easily be made dairy free, just omit the goat cheese topping.
I love using cucumbers in salads because of their crunch and fresh flavor. My local farmer’s market usually has them in abundance in the summer too!
There are usually two ways cucumber salad is prepared. One way is to use a light vinegar based dressing and another is to use a creamier dressing that usually involves mayo. This cucumber salad is more like the first option and is light and tangy in flavor. The taste of the fresh vegetables, dill and mint really shine through with the apple cider vinegar and olive oil based dressing.
This cucumber salad is also very simple to make. Since it’s best prepared just before serving, I recommend preparing and cutting the vegetables beforehand if you’re bringing it to a picnic or BBQ.
Looking for more cucumber salads? Feel free to check out our Balsamic Cucumber Tomato Salad and Strawberry Spinach Salad.
- Cucumber: Of course it wouldn’t be a cucumber salad without the cucumber! Use fresh cucumbers from your local grocery store, garden or farmer’s market. You can either peel or leave them unpeeled for this recipe. I alternated stripes of peeled and unpeeled for the cucumbers in the images I took for this blog post. This zebra-like striping makes the dish look a little more interesting and is easy to do!
- Fresh Mint and Dill: I love to use fresh herbs when possible and I highly recommend using fresh mint and dill in this recipe for best results.
- Jalapeño: The jalapeño is optional so feel free to leave out if you don’t like spice. I happen to like spice so I add just a half of a seeded jalapeño.
- Radishes: One of my favorite vegetables to grow in my garden are radishes. They add a bit of jazz and beautiful color to this dish.
- Goat Cheese: The goat cheese adds a creaminess to the cucumber salad. You can substitute feta cheese instead or opt to leave off if you want it to be a dairy free salad.
- Vinegar Dressing: The simple salad dressing is made with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and just a touch of salt.
How To Make Fresh Cucumber Salad with Dill and Mint
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt.
Assemble: In a medium bowl, toss the vinegar dressing with the cucumber, mint, dill, jalapeño, and radishes. Sprinkle with goat cheese or feta, if using.
Serve: I recommend serving this salad immediately. This recipe doesn’t lend well to making ahead since the cucumbers can produce extra moisture.
Do I need to peel the cucumbers?
Of course, wash the cucumbers beforehand but you don’t need to peel them before adding them to cucumber salad. I’ve found that the skin adds a nice texture to the salad but you can do whatever you prefer.
How long does this cucumber salad last?
This salad is best when it’s made just before serving since the longer the vegetables marinate in the dressing the more watery they become. If you are going to store the salad in the fridge, it should last up to 2 days in an airtight container.
You don’t need any fancy equipment for this salad besides a quality knife to cut the vegetables. To make the process a little easier though, I recommend using a mandoline slicer.
More Summer Recipes
- Balsamic Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- Easy Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
- Broccoli Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
Did you love this recipe? I want to hear from you! Please leave a rating or comment below and let me know how it turned out! Also follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more With Sweet Honey content.
If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
Fresh Cucumber Salad With Dill And Mint
- 2 large cucumbers
- 3 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper (optional) seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red radishes thinly sliced
- ¼ cup goat cheese or feta crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt.
- Assemble: In a medium bowl, toss the vinegar dressing with the cucumber, mint, dill, jalapeño, and radishes. Sprinkle with goat cheese or feta, if using.
- Serve: I recommend serving this salad immediately. This recipe doesn’t lend well to making ahead so I suggest making it fresh.
Leave a Reply