Fluffy and delicious gluten free pumpkin pancakes made with simple ingredients and perfect for breakfast! These kid-friendly pancakes are made with healthy ingredients like chickpea flour, pumpkin puree, and almond milk. They can also be made gluten free, dairy free, and paleo friendly!
These pumpkin pancakes have been a fall staple around my house this year. My whole family loves the pumpkin spice flavor and I thoroughly enjoy how easy they are to make. Something about a warm fluffy pancake is exactly what is needed during a chilly autumn morning breakfast.
Do your kids love pancakes? Try our Applesauce Baby Pancakes for another baby-led weaning and toddler friendly pancake option!
Ingredients In Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Chickpea Flour: Chickpea flour can also be named garbanzo bean flour. I usually buy chickpea flour in the health food section of the grocery store or online.
- Almond Milk: You can use unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I haven’t tested the recipe using regular milk, coconut milk, or oat milk but those should also work fine as a substitution.
- Maple Syrup: Use pure maple syrup. This is the sweetener so if you rather not have any sweetener added, you can leave this out.
- Egg: I have not tested this recipe with a flax egg so I’m not sure if it would turn out the same.
- Pumpkin Puree: Use 100% pumpkin puree, without any additives.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a touch of added vanilla.
- Baking Powder: The baking powder helps make the pumpkin pancakes fluffy. We love a fluffy pancake!
- Pumpkin Spice: You can find the recipe for pumpkin spice on the blog or feel free to substitute it with store-bought pumpkin pie spice.
- Salt: For a little extra flavor.
How To Make Pumpkin Pancakes
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, maple syrup, egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree. Whisk until combined.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice, and salt. Stir until combined.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir until combined. The batter should be smooth.
Step 4: Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly oil if needed. Once the pan is hot, pour or scoop the desired amount of batter onto the surface. Cook each side of the pancake for about 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles form at the top. Every skillet and pan is different so keep an eye on the pancakes while they’re cooking since cook time may vary.
Step 5: Serve the pumpkin pancakes with nut butter, syrup, coconut whipped cream, or fresh fruit.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Is Chickpea Flour?
Chickpea flour can usually be found at grocery stores or online under chickpea flour or garbanzo bean flour. I like to use Bob’s Red Mill but there are other brands that make it also. Chickpea flour is essentially ground-up dried chickpeas. It makes a great base for gluten free pancakes and is rich in protein and other nutrients.
Are these pancakes kid-friendly?
Yes, these gluten free pumpkin pancakes are definitely kid-friendly. My daughter loves these pancakes and they are fun to make with her help. Try serving with nut butter or cut fresh fruit!
Looking for more kid-friendly pancake recipes? Applesauce Baby Pancakes are also a big hit in our family and are baby-led weaning and toddler approved.
Can I make these waffles?
Yes! You can use this pancake batter as waffle batter. Just follow the ingredients the same and heat in a waffle iron instead of a skillet.
It’s fun to customize pancakes with different types of toppings. I personally like melting peanut butter on the pumpkin pancakes and topping them with fresh fruit but feel free to try something new. Some suggestions would be to top them with pure maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, almond butter, chopped pecans or walnuts.
More Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Oatmeal Toddler Breakfast Cookies
- Easy Banana Bread
- Applesauce Baby Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Goat Cheese Crustless Quiche
- Cinnamon Roll Muffins
I LOVE hearing from you! Did you try this recipe or have a question? Drop your recipe rating or comment below. Also feel free to follow With Sweet Honey on Instagram and Pinterest for more behind the scenes action.
If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes With Chickpea Flour
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, maple syrup, egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir until combined. The batter should be smooth.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly oil if needed. Once the pan is hot, pour or scoop the desired amount of batter onto the surface. Cook each side of the pancake for about 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles form at the top. Every skillet and pan is different so keep an eye on the pancakes while they’re cooking since cook time may vary.
- Serve cooked pancakes with nut butter, syrup, coconut whipped cream, or fresh fruit.