Incredible gluten free strawberry rhubarb crumble that is made with only a few ingredients and topped with a tasty oat topping. It’s easily one of our favorite summer desserts and can be made dairy free, vegan and gluten free!
Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert
Sometimes I forget how much I love strawberries and rhubarb together! This classic pairing just shouts summer and brings back all the fond childhood memories for me. In this strawberry rhubarb crumble recipe, I’ve used the classic flavors and simple ingredients to bring this summer dessert to life. It is simply delicious! It can also easily be made gluten free, dairy free, and vegan!
Ingredients In This Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
This recipe doesn’t take much ingredients but it is one you’ll want to make over and over again.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Rolled Oats: I use certified gluten free rolled oats in my strawberry rhubarb crisp but you can use whatever rolled oats you prefer.
- All Purpose Flour: To keep the recipe gluten free, I use gluten free all purpose flour but you can substitute it with regular all purpose flour if you want.
- Strawberries: Fresh strawberries taste best in this recipe but if you want you can use frozen strawberries that are thawed. I also make sure to wash, take off the stem, and cut them into quarters first.
- Rhubarb: Summer is a great time to get fresh rhubarb at local farmer’s markets or grocery stores. If it’s off season, you can use frozen rhubarb slices that are thawed.
- Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar: You can use either brown sugar or coconut sugar in this recipe for the sweetener.
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh squeezed juice from a lemon for the filling.
- Arrowroot: I use arrowroot but you can substitute it with equal parts corn starch for the same result.
- Ground Cinnamon: For a little extra cinnamon flavor.
- Salt: Use regular, sea salt or kosher salt.
- Butter: I use vegan butter to keep this recipe dairy free but you can use regular butter if you prefer.
How To Make
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Make topping: In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter. Set aside.
Step 3: Mix the filling: In another medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, brown sugar, and arrowroot powder.
Step 4: Pour the strawberry rhubarb filling into a 9x9 baking pan. Spread evenly with a spatula or spoon. Top with the oat crumble topping, spreading evenly.
Step 5: Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is tender and bubbling. Serve with ice cream or coconut whipped cream if desired.
Tips for making the best strawberry rhubarb crumble
Cut the fruit: Make sure to cut the strawberries and rhubarb before adding them to the filling mixture. I like to quarter the strawberries and cut the rhubarb into ½ inch pieces.
Keep an eye on baking time: Every oven is different so make sure to keep an eye on the crumble when it’s getting closer to 45 minutes in the oven. Mine turns out perfect at 45 minutes but the crumble is done when the filling is bubbling and the fruit is soft. You don’t want your crumble topping to burn so make sure to take it out of the oven before it gets over done.
How To Serve
Strawberry rhubarb crumble pairs deliciously with vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream for a sweet treat! Of course it’s also incredible on its own too!
How To Store Leftovers
To Store: I usually just keep the cooled strawberry rhubarb crumble in its original baking dish and cover with cling wrap before placing it in the fridge. It can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. You can simply warm it up in the microwave or keep it cold.
More Desserts To Try!
- Baked Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Lemon Raspberry Crumble Bars
- Healthier Lemon Bars
- The Best Gluten Free Zucchini Coffee Cake
Did you love this recipe? I want to hear from you! Please leave a rating or comment below and let me know how it turned out! Also follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more With Sweet Honey content. If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Oat Crumble Topping
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted (could use regular butter or ghee)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Strawberry Rhubarb Base
- 2 cups strawberries quartered
- 2 cups rhubarb cleaned and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder could use corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make topping: In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter. Set aside.
- Mix the filling: In another medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, brown sugar, and arrowroot powder.
- Pour the strawberry rhubarb filling into a 9x9 baking pan. Spread evenly with a spatula or spoon. Top with the oat crumble topping, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is tender and bubbling. Serve with ice cream or coconut whipped cream if desired.
Leave a Reply