Savory ground beef stroganoff made with dairy free and gluten free ingredients! Flavorful ground beef, mushrooms, and onions coated in a creamy dairy free sauce. This dish is made in under 30-minutes and sure to leave you feeling satisfied!
Dairy Free Beef Stroganoff
I have always been a fan of beef stroganoff but have not had it since I started eliminating dairy and gluten from my diet. I missed the comforting taste of the classic stroganoff dish so I recreated it using only dairy and gluten free ingredients.
This recipe uses a few simple ingredients like ground beef, mushrooms, onion and a blend of coconut milk, mustard, lemon, and vinegar for a tangy sour cream alternative. Serve with gluten free noodles for a satisfying meal the whole family will love!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Dairy Free - Traditional beef stroganoff is usually made with sour cream but ours is made with coconut milk instead. If you’re like me and don’t tolerate dairy well, this recipe is perfect for you!
- Simple - Made with ground beef and a few other simple ingredients, this recipe comes together in less than 30-minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground beef - For convenience, we use ground beef in this stroganoff recipe. I like to use grass-fed ground beef when possible.
- Yellow onion and garlic - The base for the best recipes always include onion and garlic!
- Mushrooms - You can use one type of mushrooms or a variety. I usually use baby bella since that is usually available at my grocery store.
- Beef broth - It adds to the savory beef flavor of this recipe.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour - I use gluten-free all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free but you can use whatever all-purpose flour you prefer.
- Coconut cream - You can either buy a can of coconut cream or a can of full fat coconut milk. Look at the notes section in the recipe card for tips on coconut cream.
- Dijon mustard - This adds a tangy flavor to the dish.
- Lemon juice - The lemon juice blends well with the other flavors to bring it to the next level.
- Apple cider vinegar - Added to the coconut cream mixture for more flavor.
- Salt and ground black pepper - Adjust the amount to your taste preference.
- Gluten-free noodles - I use gluten-free noodles but use whatever you prefer.
How To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
Make the dairy free sour cream: In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut cream, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
Heat a large sauté pan, skillet, or dutch oven. Add the ground beef and brown until cooked through (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
If needed, add olive oil to the pan. Add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté until they begin to caramelize and soften (about 4 minutes). Next, add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add the beef broth and wait until simmering. Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and stir until thickened. Then slowly add the dairy free sour cream mixture, stirring constantly. Add in the beef and let simmer for 5 minutes on low. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve over gluten-free noodles. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
This beef stroganoff is satisfying on its own but is also great when paired with the following options:
- Cooked green beans
- Fresh side salad
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Roasted broccoli and carrots
How to make Whole30 and Paleo
Make sure to check the ingredients in your beef broth and dijon mustard before making this recipe Whole30 or Paleo friendly. I like the Primal Kitchen dijon mustard for Paleo and Whole30 approved ingredients. You can also leave out the flour. The flour is used as a thickener for the sauce.
How To Store
Store the leftovers for the beef stroganoff in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat using the microwave or stovetop.
Leave A Review
Did you make this recipe? Please consider leaving a star rating and review below, this helps a lot! THANK YOU!
More Recipes To Try
- Simple Coconut Chickpea Curry With Spinach
- Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Best Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Ground Beef Stroganoff (Dairy Free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Dairy Free Sour Cream Mixture
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- 1-½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- gluten-free pasta or your favorite pasta
- Make the dairy free sour cream: In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut cream, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan, skillet, or dutch oven. Add the ground beef and brown until cooked through (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- If needed, add olive oil to the pan. Add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté until they begin to caramelize and soften (about 4 minutes).
- Next, add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the beef broth and wait until simmering. Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and stir until thickened. Then slowly add the dairy free sour cream mixture, stirring constantly. Add in the cooked ground beef and let simmer for 5 minutes on low. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over gluten-free noodles. Enjoy!