This simple homemade gluten free shake and bake chicken is prepared in less than 5 minutes and oven baked. Made with a flavorful mixture of almond flour and savory seasonings for a tasty meal perfect for weeknights.
What’s great about this recipe
I appreciate easy recipes that I can put together quickly for my family that they all will enjoy. Here are a few reasons why this chicken drumstick recipe is great:
- Gluten free - this recipe is made with almond flour and a few simple spices - making it easy to enjoy.
- Quick recipe - Simply shake the seasoning with the chicken and bake for 40 minutes. That’s it!
- Customizable - this homemade seasoning mixture is simple to customize and adjust to your preferences.
Ingredients for homemade shake and bake chicken
- Chicken - you can use either drumsticks, thighs, or breasts with this breading. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of meat. If using frozen, just make sure to thaw the chicken before using.
- Almond flour - the almond flour is the gluten free base to this shake and bake recipe. I like to use this finely ground almond flour.
- Spices - Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper come together to create the homemade shake and bake seasoning.
How to make gluten free shake and bake chicken
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and line a sheet pan.
Step 2: Add the almond flour and rest of the ingredients into a large zipper storage bag.
Step 3: Place a few pieces of chicken into the bag with the seasoning and shake until all pieces are coated.
Step 4: Bake the chicken on the sheet pan for about 40 minutes, turning over half way through. Internal temperature should read at least 165°F.
- Adjust the amounts of salt and pepper depending on preference.
- If you have thawed frozen chicken, you may need to dry the chicken with a paper towel before coating with seasoning.
- Make this spicy shake and bake chicken by adding cayenne pepper instead of chili powder.
You can store unused shake and bake seasoning at room temperature to use another day. I usually like to double the batch so I have some in the pantry to use later.
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More easy gluten free recipes
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Homemade Gluten Free Shake and Bake Chicken
- sheet pan
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks or chicken breasts and thighs
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a sheet pan.
- Add the almond flour and rest of the ingredients into a large zipper storage bag.
- Place a few pieces of chicken into the bag with the seasoning and shake until all pieces are coated.
- Bake the chicken on the sheet pan for about 40 minutes, turning over half way through. Internal temperature should read at least 165°F.