Freshen up your table with this delicious Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Kale and Apple! It’s made with simple ingredients like apple, kale, shallots, and dried cranberries that come together in a whole new way. You might just want to make this salad for your next holiday meal, celebration, or just everyday of the week once you try it!
Kale Brussels Sprout Salad
If you’re a fan of brussels sprouts, you are going to love this one! Heck, even if you've sworn off brussels sprouts, you should still give this recipe a try! This winning salad is made with a mix of kale, brussels sprouts and a variety of other whole ingredients. Topped with a savory homemade dijon dressing that can be used on other salads too!
It’s perfect for serving at holiday gatherings like Thanksgiving or Christmas too! I love to include this salad on our holiday menu because it pairs nicely with a variety of dishes and it’s a crowd pleaser. Not to mention, it’s even dairy free, gluten free, vegan and paleo friendly!
Do you love brussels sprouts? Check out our recipe for Baked Lemon Pepper Salmon With Brussels Sprouts. The brussels sprouts are roasted with the salmon as an easy sheet-pan meal!
Ingredients For Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- For The Dressing: You will need olive oil, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brussels Sprouts: Obviously there are brussels sprouts in brussels sprout salad! They are thinly sliced so they’re easier to eat and mix well with the other ingredients.
- Kale: the perfect companion for the brussels sprouts!
- Shallots: They are sautéed which gives them a mild and slightly sweet flavor that is lovely in this salad.
- Walnuts: Chopped walnuts give a little crunch and texture to the salad.
- Apple: I use pink lady in this recipe but other sweet varieties would work also.
- Dried Cranberries: For paleo, make sure to use dried cranberries with no added sugar.
How To Make Brussels Sprout Salad With Kale And Apple
Make the dressing: Whisk together the 4 tablespoon of olive oil, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Sauté the shallots: Heat a small pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add the thinly sliced shallots and sauté until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Mix the salad: Add the shaved brussels sprouts and chopped kale to a large bowl. Then massage with clean hands for about 1 minute. Then add dressing and remaining ingredients, including the sautéed shallots, to the salad. Toss to coat and enjoy!
How To Shave or Shred Brussels Sprouts
Shaved or shredded brussels sprouts refer to thinly sliced brussels sprouts. It’s rather easy to do and doesn’t take very long to prepare. Start by trimming the stems off the brussels sprouts then cut them in half. Thinly slice the raw sprouts with a knife. Alternatively, you could use a food processor with a shredding disc attachment or mandoline to do the work of shredding the brussels sprouts for you.
Why massage kale and brussels sprouts?
It might seem silly to massage veggies but it actually helps with digestion of the kale and makes it easier to eat! Just make sure your hands are washed and cleaned before massaging for about 1 minute.
What to serve with this brussels sprout and kale salad?
This salad is great on its own as a main dish or as a delicious side! I like to incorporate it in our holiday menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It has all the tasty flavors of a delicious fall and winter salad.
Can you eat raw Brussels Sprouts?
Yes! The texture of raw brussels sprouts is similar to cabbage and makes it an easy ingredient to incorporate into salads. They hold up well against dressing and the brussels sprouts don’t get soggy very quickly. I prefer to massage the brussels sprouts with the kale so they are a little softer and easier to digest.
Looking for more salad recipes? Try our Broccoli Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing!
Other fall favorite recipes to try:
- Perfect Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Apple
- The Best Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Easy Apple Pie Energy Balls
- Slow Cooker Creamy Turkey Chowder
Did you like this shaved brussels sprout salad recipe? Let me know in the comments below. Also please follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipe inspiration and food photography. Enjoy your day!
Looking for more? If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Kale and Apple
- 4 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard or brown mustard
- 2 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (12 oz) shaved brussels sprouts thinly sliced
- 1-¼ cup chopped kale stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 medium apple chopped (I use pink lady)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (I use no added sugar dried cranberries)
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the 4 tablespoon of olive oil, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Sauté the shallots: Heat a small pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add the thinly sliced shallots and sauté until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the salad: Add the shaved brussels sprouts and chopped kale to a large bowl. Then massage with clean hands for about 1 minute. Then add dressing and remaining ingredients, including the sautéed shallots, to the salad. Toss to coat and enjoy!