This delicious coconut chickpea curry is made with simple ingredients and made in under 30 minutes! Dinner just got a whole lot easier with this healthy curry recipe. Naturally vegan, dairy free, and gluten free too!
Chickpea Curry Recipe
This go-to coconut chickpea curry recipe is one of the best quick healthy meals I have ever had. I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s flavorful, healthy, quick, and affordable! Made with simple ingredients like chickpeas, spinach, bell peppers, and coconut milk. It’s a meal that doesn’t require much planning ahead of time since most of the ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
This chickpea curry pairs well with cauliflower rice or regular rice. I love to serve curry over a bed of rice with a side of steamed vegetables.
Ingredients For Simple Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Bell Pepper
- Coconut Milk
- Curry Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Ginger Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Coconut Chickpea Curry
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium in a skillet. Sauté the chopped bell pepper until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic and drained chickpeas. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Let it simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until the curry reaches desired consistency.
Lower the heat and add the spinach. Stir and let the spinach wilt. Remove the curry from heat and serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Top with chopped green onions (optional), lime juice and add more salt or pepper depending on preference.
Watch How To Make This Curry:
It is easy to customize this coconut curry recipe to fit your taste and preferences. Here are some examples of ways you can change it up.
- Spicy - If you like a little more kick to your dish, add more red pepper flakes! Or serve the red pepper flakes off to the side so everyone can add as much or as little as they prefer.
- Protein - Consider adding chicken to the curry for extra protein or instead of the chickpeas.
- Veggies - Feel free to switch up the vegetables in this curry. Instead of spinach and bell peppers, try sweet potato, mushrooms or chopped tomatoes.
- Kid Friendly - My toddler does not like anything spicy so if you want to make this curry more kid friendly, leave the red pepper flakes out. You could also add more veggies for an extra kid win!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t dirty many dishes. You’ll need a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet to cook the curry on the stove. I usually prefer to use my 10.25 inch cast iron skillet since it has a higher side to contain the ingredients as they’re added in.
Store leftover coconut chickpea curry in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Feel free to store the curry with the rice in the same container to save space. This recipe also is great for making ahead and meal prep.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warm.
Looking For More Recipes?
We have a variety of tasty gluten free recipes on With Sweet Honey. Check out some of our favorites like Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Spinach or Salmon Patties!
I Want To Hear From You
If you’ve tried this curry recipe or others, let me know in the comments below! I always love hearing from you. Also feel free to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest where I share more recipes and food photography tips!
If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Simple Chickpea Coconut Curry with Spinach
- skillet or cast iron skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk full fat
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (add more or less based on spice preference)
- 2 cups spinach
- chopped fresh green onions (optional for topping)
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium in a skillet. Sauté the chopped bell pepper until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic and drained chickpeas. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, red pepper flakes (optional), salt and pepper. Let it simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until the curry reaches desired consistency.
- Lower the heat and add the spinach. Stir and let the spinach wilt. Remove the curry from heat and serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Top with chopped green onions (optional) and add more salt or pepper depending on preference.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This recipe is great for making ahead and meal prep.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warm.
- Nutrition facts is an estimate and calculated without the addition of rice.
Leave a Reply