Looking for an easy meal that the whole family will enjoy? It doesn’t get much better than this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe! This slow cooker meal that will become your new go-to recipe for busy weeknights or weekends at home. It also can be made Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple: There’s only a handful of ingredients in this fajita recipe but it’s packed with flavor. It’s as simple as placing all the ingredients in the slow cooker and letting them cook!
- Slow Cooker: I love a good slow cooker meal and this one is no exception. It’s a set it and forget it kind of meal which makes it perfect for busy weeknights or meal prep.
- Customizable: You can serve this chicken fajita meat in a variety of ways to keep it compliant with whatever dietary needs you have. Try serving over rice, cauliflower rice, or a bed of lettuce!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Breasts: You can use either fresh or frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
- Tomatoes: Use either canned or fresh diced tomatoes. Sometimes I only have canned tomatoes on hand and they work perfectly in this recipe.
- Bell Peppers: The recipe calls for three bell peppers. I like to use a variety of colored bell peppers but you can use whatever colors you’d like. Sometimes green bell peppers are priced slightly lower than the other colors so keep that in mind if you’re on a budget.
- Yellow Onion: Onion is a great way to add a little more flavor to these chicken fajitas. Make sure to slice the onion before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Garlic: I love cooking with garlic, especially in fajita and taco meat.
- Fajita Seasoning: This homemade fajita seasoning is an easy way to add a lot of flavor with only a few spices. If you prefer, you can use store-bought fajita seasoning but you may need to adjust the amount to add based on your spice preference.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice from one lime for some added citrus flavor.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
I really mean it when I say this recipe is simple! Here’s the steps on how to make this slow cooker meal:
Step 1: Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker. Then add the fajita seasoning, diced tomatoes, sliced peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice on top.
Step 2: Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Once chicken is cooked through, remove and shred with a fork or knife.
Step 3: Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir. Serve immediately with toppings of choice.
Topping Options For Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
One of the great things about slow cooker chicken fajitas is the ability to customize them with the different toppings and ways to serve them. Make chicken fajita tacos with tortillas or place over cauliflower rice. It’s up to you!
- Fresh Cilantro
- Pico De Gallo
- Guacamole or avocados
- Dairy free sour cream (or regular)
- Cauliflower rice or white rice
- Lettuce or Spinach
Is This Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Whole30 and Paleo?
Yes! This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas is whole30, paleo, gluten free, and dairy free. It’s the toppings that you choose to put with the fajitas that can be customized to follow your specific dietary needs. Cauliflower rice, fresh cilantro and homemade guacamole are great options!
How To Store
To store: Once the chicken fajitas is cooled off, transfer to an airtight container. Place in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To freeze: Place cooled chicken fajita meat in a freezer bag or container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheat the leftovers using the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
Other Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Turkey Chowder
- The Best Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Carnitas Burrito Bowl (Paleo, Whole30
- Whole30 Sloppy Joes
- Easy Stuffed Sweet Potato Tacos
If you’ve tried this recipe or others, let us know in the comments below! We always love hearing from you. Also feel free to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest where we share more recipes and food photography!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4 breasts)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (or use fresh diced tomatoes)
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (I used 1 yellow, 1 red and 1 orange)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- juice of 1 lime
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker. Then add the fajita seasoning, diced tomatoes, sliced peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Once chicken is cooked through, remove and shred with a fork or knife.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.
- Serving suggestions: fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, guacamole, rice, tortillas
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.