This Vegetable Cabbage Soup is the epitome of healthy comfort food. It’s made with wholesome vegetables like cabbage, carrots, and celery, mixed with herbs and broth. The perfect soup to make on a cold day or to enjoy with the family. It’s also made with ingredients that are Whole30, Paleo and Vegan friendly!
I’ve been on a bit of a cabbage kick lately, hence the Cabbage Roll in a Bowl and Cabbage Roll Soup recipes I just published. Cabbage is a healthy and affordable vegetable that I think often gets overlooked. So if you haven’t tried cabbage soup yet, it’s your day to do so!
This plant based soup is made with a handful of vegetables like carrots, celery, tomatoes and cabbage. It is very easy to customize and can be made with additional protein like ham, chicken or ground beef.
Why You’ll Love This Cabbage Soup
- Simple - This is a one-pot meal that is made in about 30-minutes. It’s as simple as letting it simmer on the stovetop!
- Customizable - You can make this vegetable cabbage soup your own with easy substitutions or additions. Want to make it more hearty? Try adding ground meat or plant based protein.
- Nutritious - There’s a whole lot of vegetables and herbs in this soup! It’s also Whole30, Paleo and Vegan friendly.
Ingredients for Vegetable Cabbage Soup
- Cabbage - Green cabbage is used in this soup. Make sure to wash and core the cabbage.
- Carrots, Celery, Onion - These vegetables come together to make this soup delicious. Feel free to add more of your favorite vegetables to match your preferences.
- Garlic - I think every soup should have a little bit of garlic in it!
- Tomatoes - I use canned diced tomatoes for convenience but you can use fresh tomatoes you wish.
- Olive Oil - To help with the cooking of the vegetables.
- Vegetable Broth - You can substitute the vegetable broth for chicken broth if preferred. Adjust the amount depending on how broth-y you like your soup to be.
- Italian Seasoning and Paprika - The seasoning is delicious in this recipe!
- Lemon Juice - Added at the end for an extra depth of flavor.
- Salt and Pepper - Adjust amounts to your preference.
How To Make
Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened.
Next, add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Next, add in the cabbage, tomatoes, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning and paprika. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Let simmer covered for 30 mins or until the cabbage is wilted and soft.
Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Watch How To Make Cabbage Soup
Substitutions and Variations
Think of this vegetable cabbage soup as the healthy base to add anything you’d like!
- Add rice - For a thicker or more hearty soup, consider adding white or brown rice.
- More protein - Cooked chicken, ham, ground turkey or ground beef are all great ways to make this soup protein packed.
- Make it spicy - Add some heat with red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Extra veggies - I like to add butternut squash or bell peppers. Feel free to add any of your favorite vegetables and let me know down in the comments how it went.
To Store - Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Freeze - This soup is easy to freeze! Simply store in an airtight freezer friendly container or bag for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
Leave a Review
If you’d like to stay in the know about all things With Sweet Honey, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting With Sweet Honey!
Vegetable Cabbage Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head green cabbage cored and chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Next, add in the cabbage, tomatoes, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning and paprika. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Let simmer covered for 30 mins or until the cabbage is wilted and soft.
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.